Hi everyone! Welcome to the second week of the MiM for Moms Giveaway Series!
If you’ve just heard about the giveaway and would like to get the details on how this all works, head on over to our giveaway page and check it out. When you’re done, come back here and enter to win this week’s prize — free enrollment in Gina Horkey’s 30 Days or Less to Virtual Assisting Success course (The GROWTH Package)!
Virtual assisting is a fantastic work-at-home niche that few know how to get started in. As a VA myself (yes, I wear many hats!), I can say that this is by far my favorite way to earn extra income from home.
Wait? I thought you said you loved being a proofreader, Katie! What’s up with that?
Yep. I DO love being a proofreader. It’s actually working as a freelance proofreader that led me into the niche of virtual assisting (and transcription! But we’ll get into that in another post.;-))
So what does a virtual assistant do?
Virtual assistants (VAs) assist business owners (like bloggers and other online entrepreneurs) in the day-to-day aspects of running their business — and it’s all done remotely! For example, virtual assistants can manage their clients’ inboxes, track and set up appointments, manage their affiliates, manage their projects, produce content, and MUCH more.
As a VA, I specialize in project management, something I never knew I’d be good at until becoming a VA. I tend to get board really quickly with repetitive tasks, so the ever-changing dynamic of the VA workflow always keeps me engaged and excited.
Is virtual assisting a good work-at-home career for a busy mom?
One of the great things about virtual assisting is that you can leave the computer and take a break whenever you need to. This means if my kids need me, I’m there. No negotiating with my boss. No having to squeeze family time into my schedule.
The flexibility allows me to give priority to my family’s needs and create a schedule that works for us. This is a HUGE win for me because I have young children who are still very needy. If my kids need to go outside to get the wiggles out, I have the freedom to take them to the park and let them run!
It also means that if one of my kiddos gets sick, I can get them to the doctor whenever I need to. (This in itself makes being a virtual assistant one of the best career options for moms who want to stay home.)
Another great aspect of virtual assisting is that I can literally take my job ANYWHERE. Like proofreading, as long as I have a laptop (or an iPad) and access to reliable Internet service, I can earn money. AND if we want to plan a spontaneous trip to the coast or to visit family, we can!
How much do virtual assistants make?
Honestly, however much you want! According to Gina Horkey, creator of the 30DoLVAS course and expert VA, the average North American virtual assistant makes $35-$50/hr (though some go as low as $25/hr and others go as high as $100/hr). How’s that for a nice slice of pie?
What are the downsides to working as a VA?
This is tough to answer because I really do love my work as a VA. But in the name of transparency, I think my least favorite part of being a VA has been answering thousands of emails. Why? Because like I said before, I don’t like repetition. Sometimes, as a VA, this is what you do. BUT it’s just a small part.
When I started as a VA, I was answering general emails in my client’s inbox. I was super excited to do it, but let’s face it. After answering 500 emails asking the exact same questions, it gets a tad boring. BUT here I am, eight months later, and I’m now a project manager — which leads me to my most favorite part of being a VA.
There’s room to grow!!
Seriously. The sky’s the limit in this industry. Find a good, successful client and learn from them. Then take what you’ve learned and grow into the kind of VA clients want!
The truth is, a good, reliable VA is hard to find. If you strive to be excellent at what you do, you’ll eventually find that clients will seek YOU out. (True story! This actually happened to me recently!) And there’s TONS of work out there.
Gina mentions on her site that there has been a 95% increase in demand for VAs in the last three years — and I totally believe it! With the growth of digital marketing and online business (especially blogging!), you can hardly find a successful online business owner who doesn’t use a VA.
So do you think becoming a VA might be right for you?
Check out the details on this week’s prize and enter to win the opportunity to enroll in this awesome course designed to help you use the skills you already have to earn a living as a virtual assistant!
30 Days or Less to Virtual Assistant Success is a comprehensive month-long course created by Gina Horkey, a successful VA, business owner, WAHM, and wife.
This course is designed to help you expand on the skills you already have in order to turn them into marketable assets and build a foundation for a new career as a VA.
Just looking for a side hustle? No problem! As a freelance VA, you get to choose how much or how little you want to work. If you don’t want to make this into a full-time career, you don’t have to! You’re in complete control.
What’s included in the course?
- 12 Modules including checklists, quizzes, and comprehensive content for virtually every aspect of virtual assisting
- Help discovering your most marketable skills and finding your unique niche in a vast industry with unlimited possibilities
- How to build an effective resume that’ll make you stand out in the VA world
- Training in email management, social media management, and content management (highly sought-after skills for VAs!)
- How to set up your business so you can get seen (and get paid!)
- How to market your new business and find new clients
- How to build solid, long-lasting relationships with your clients (extremely important!)
- Exclusive access to the private VA Facebook group community
As an added bonus, Gina has upgraded the winner to her Growth Package, which also includes the following:
- Access to 25+ enhanced trainings and templates
- Video interview with Gina and her first VA client (so you can hear exactly what her clients think!)
- Independent contractor agreement template and tutorial ($200 value)
BONUS PRIZE FOR THE WINNER!!
The winner of this (and all MiM for Moms giveaways!) will be receiving their very own copy of The Dailygreatness Business Planner, a beautiful planner designed to help you develop a successful business plan for your new work-at-home career. (Only U.S. residents are eligible to win the bonus prize.)
This planner is friggin’ awesome. It is pricey at $44.95, BUT it is absolutely worth it for any aspiring business owner, especially for moms who need extra help keeping her ducks in a row. Click here to get more info on how awesome this planner really is!
- Week-to-a-View Planner
- One Page Business Planner
- Business Vision Planner
- Expansion Strategy Worksheet (new)
- Social Media Content Planner (new)
- Comprehensive Goal Planning System
- Weekly, Quarterly and Yearly Check-Ins
- 90-Day Business Challenges
- Weekly Action Planners
- Inspirational Quotes
- Weekly and Quarterly Goal Planners
- Finance Manager and Budget Worksheets
- Undated, so you can start anytime
- Subscribe to MiM using one of the opt-in forms on this page. Don’t forget to confirm your subscription! A confirmation email will be sent to your inbox after you subscribe. Check your spam folder if it doesn’t show up within 20 minutes. Email me at [email protected] if you have any trouble. 🙂
- Fill out the entry form below. NOTE: I recommend signing in with your name and current email address. This is the information we’ll use to contact you if you win. If you sign in with Facebook, make sure it’s updated with your current contact information. You will NOT receive a confirmation email after filling out the form. 🙂
Need to streamline your schedule for a more productive day?
Stay tuned for next week’s prize: Crystal Paine’s Make Over Your Morning and
Make Over Your Evening bundle, two 14-day multimedia online courses created to help you become more productive while making sure you have time for the things that matter the most.
Crystal takes from her own wealth of experience as a successful full-time blogger, homeschooling mom, and wife to share with you her expertise in creating custom schedules that people will actually stick with. Stick around to find out more about these awesome courses that are beneficial for EVERYONE (SAHMs and WAHMs alike!).
**This post may contain affiliate links whereby I earn a commission if you choose to purchase something through my link. This does not affect the price you pay, and it helps keep MiM available for moms like you. Rest assured that I only ever promote products I truly believe in. For more details, check out our Affiliate Disclosure. Thanks for keeping MiM alive!