Hey, friends! Well, here we are at our last week for the MiM for Moms Giveaway Series. Can you believe it? What an amazing event this turned out to be! SO many people participated in this amazing event, and I am so thankful for each and every one of you!
Before I get into the details of our last giveaway (wow!!), I want to revisit why I felt so passionate about doing this event. As a busy mom of a toddler and an energetic 6-year-old boy with special needs, I really understand how hard motherhood can be. I understand the sleepless nights, the isolation, the unending repetition, and the exhaustion that comes with being a mom — especially if your children are little.
I understand that deep hunger for accomplishment when your days are filled with dirty diapers, crying kiddos, and dirty laundry. Some of you totally understand what I’m talking about.
I also understand the trials of the mom who spends long hours outside of the house earning a living, but LONGS to be home with the people she loves the most. My own mother was a single mom. At times, she worked three jobs to keep food on the table and a roof over our heads. She was always tired, always stressed, and it. never. stopped.
This is why MiM for Moms exists — for you.
There is something freeing and fulfilling about accomplishing something amazing. For me, building my own business and earning an income from home, helping my family to grow in financial independence, and stretching myself past the limits of what I thought possible has been a form of self-care I never could’ve imagined — and I want to help other moms do the same thing.
So for our last week of the MiM for Moms Giveaway Series, I’m excited to bring you another opportunity to make that happen.
This week, we are partnering with Linda Evenson over at Internet Scoping School to offer a MiM reader the chance to enroll in her new introductory course, Scoping Fundamentals™. (You can check out my in-depth interview with Linda and learn more about the career of scoping here.)
What is scoping?
To give you a brief overview, a scopist is a legal transcript editor. Scopists work as independent contractors for court reporters editing out errors and untranslated steno from their transcripts.
If you’ve been with MiM for a little while, you may have heard me talk a bit about legal transcript proofreading. To be clear, proofreading is NOT the same as scoping. You can get more details on exactly what a scopist does here.
Scopists require very specialized, in-depth training to do the work they do for court reporters. They also require special software in order to do their work. This is NOT an easy job, but those who are well-trained can earn a good living doing it — and it’s all done remotely from home!
According to Linda Evenson, an industry-renowned professional scopist, a well-trained scopist can easily earn $35,000 – $50,000 a year from home — but some scopists go on to make more than that!
The key is proper training.
This is not a job that you can roll out of bed and learn how to do. This is a niche specializing in a very unique, highly sought after skill set in the court reporting industry. There is a HUGE need in the industry for reliable scopists, and the need is growing.
What are the drawbacks to becoming a scopist?
If being a scopist is so great, why isn’t everyone doing it? Well, there are two answers to this question:
- It takes real work. This is NOT something you can do while you watch Netflix. It is a real profession that requires hard work and dedication.
- Training isn’t cheap. When you look at other online courses, training to become a scopist can seem crazy expensive. How expensive? When all is said and done, you’ll be paying around $4,500. OUCH. As a SAHM, that can seem like a LOT of money to invest. Here’s why it really isn’t:
- Going to college to get a degree that’ll make you the same amount of money (but likely much less!) will easily cost you many times more!
- Most students make up their tuition costs within the first few months. I can’t say that for any college graduate I know that had to take out student loans.
- You don’t have to go into HUGE amounts of debt to earn college-level income! This is a major bonus. ISS offers TONS of payment options, some as low as $233/month for a year. That means you can start a new career AND enter the field debt-free in only 12 months. Seriously.
What are the pros of becoming a scopist?
FREEDOM. The end.
I’m totally serious. You can take on however much work you want, when you want to take it on. You can work in your jammies, take breaks whenever you want, schedule your own time off, and enjoy being there for your family. You can also take your work with you wherever you go as long as you have a laptop!
It is kind of a WAHM’s dream job — great earning potential, flexible schedule, remote so you can bring it with you wherever you go, and can be done right from home. <3<3<3
Interested in learning more about becoming a scopist?
Check out the prize details below for more information on ISS’s introductory course, Scoping Fundamentals™, and find out if this is the work-at-home career you’ve been looking for!
Scoping Fundamentals™ is an introductory course designed to help prospective students get their feet wet in the field of scoping. Linda Evenson of ISS and Caitlin Pyle of Proofread Anywhere joined forces to create the Scoping Fundamentals™ curriculum to provide students with all the information and testing they need to make an informed decision on whether or not to enroll in ISS’s intensive training program.
What’s included in Scoping Fundamentals™:
- 21 unit lessons designed to get your feet wet in the scoping profession.
- 9 interactive quizzes to test your comprehension.
- A 100-question Word Skills Test to gauge your readiness for scoping.
- A 25-page PDF of your test results designed to guide you in identifying areas you’ll need to focus on as you continue your studies. A score below 80% on this exam indicates you should not continue as a scopist. They do this to help you save yourself a LOT of money on a training program that might not fit your natural skill set.
- Lifetime access to our Internet Scoping School Facebook group where you can chat with both other students and experienced scopists (and Linda!).
- If you choose to enroll in the full course, you can use your Scoping Fundamentals™ prize value to make your monthly payments even lower than their standard payment plans.
Here’s a sneak peek inside the Scoping Fundamentals curriculum:
BONUS PRIZE FOR THE WINNER!!
The winner of this (and all MiM for Moms giveaways!) will be receiving their very own copy of The Dailygreatness Business Planner, a beautiful planner designed to help you develop a successful business plan for your new work-at-home career. (Only U.S. residents are eligible to win the bonus prize.)
This planner is friggin’ awesome. It is pricey at $44.95, BUT it is absolutely worth it for any aspiring business owner, especially for moms who need extra help keeping her ducks in a row. Click here to get more info on how awesome this planner really is!
- Week-to-a-View Planner
- One Page Business Planner
- Business Vision Planner
- Expansion Strategy Worksheet (new)
- Social Media Content Planner (new)
- Comprehensive Goal Planning System
- Weekly, Quarterly and Yearly Check-Ins
- 90-Day Business Challenges
- Weekly Action Planners
- Inspirational Quotes
- Weekly and Quarterly Goal Planners
- Finance Manager and Budget Worksheets
- Undated, so you can start anytime
- Subscribe to MiM using one of the opt-in forms on this page. Don’t forget to confirm your subscription! A confirmation email will be sent to your inbox after you subscribe. Check your spam folder if it doesn’t show up within 20 minutes. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any trouble. 🙂
- Fill out the entry form below. NOTE: I recommend signing in with your name and current email address. This is the information we’ll use to contact you if you win. If you sign in with Facebook, make sure your account is updated with your current contact information. You will NOT receive a confirmation email after filling out the form. 🙂