Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/momism5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/social-warfare/lib/frontend-output/SWP_Buttons_Panel.php on line 940
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our affiliate disclosure here. Thank you for supporting MiM!
Welcome to our FOURTH giveaway! I cannot believe we are already four weeks in. WOW!! I’m having SO much fun hosting so many amazing opportunities from some incredible sponsors. It makes me want to do so much more! (<— Foreshadowing. Hehe.;-))
If you’re just joining us for the MiM for Moms Giveaway Series, head over to our giveaway page to see how this works. When you’re finished, come right back to this page to enter to win this week’s prize: your choice between Transcribe Anywhere’s General Transcription: Theory and Practice OR Legal Transcription:Theory and Practice LEVEL 1!
I had the privilege of working on the new updated Transcribe Anywhere website and upgraded course content with Janet Shaughnessy — creator and instructor of Transcribe Anywhere — and it is AWESOME. As a former student of her former course, I’m so excited to see the changes and resources the new courses have. If you’d like a closer look at what the courses are all about, check out my full review here.
What is transcription?
Simply put, transcription is taking audio and converting it to text. Sounds simple enough, right? Well, it’s actually not all that simple at all. Transcribing involves WAY more skill than just typing fast. To really excel at transcription, you need to demonstrate mastery of proper English grammar and punctuation. You MUST know the difference between their, there, and they’re; your and you’re; and how to properly punctuate the spoken word.
Again, sounds simple enough, right? Wrong. It sounds easy when you’re thinking about it in the context of writing an email, but when you’re listening to the spoken word, it’s an entirely different ball game.
For a quick example, check out this sample of audio (this is actually really good quality audio compared to others):
In reality, people speak differently than they write. The job of the transcriptionist is to get the audio down verbatim, meaning every. single. word. In order to make ^ that audio readable in written form, you’ve gotta know what you’re doing when it comes to grammar and punctuation. If using strict verbatim, a transcriber would turn ^ this into this:
Speaker: Um, I’m not really sure. Like, it all happened really fast, and I’m not really sure how it all happened. I think, like, maybe — well, he was going really fast, and he was coming up on my right side. And I — I just don’t know what happened after that.
Can you see how this could get really complicated with punctuation, improper grammar use from the speaker, and sometimes bad audio? Yep. It takes training to do this and do it well!
As a legal transcriptionist, I have some experience with this line of work, and it’s definitely a fantastic way to make money from home.
So who hires transcriptionists?
A LOT of businesses hire transcriptionists. In fact, when I started, I couldn’t believe how many opportunities there were out there for transcribers!
As a legal transcriptionist, you can work for attorneys, digital court reporters, reporting firms, etc. You can transcribe legal correspondence, hearings, trials, depositions, examinations under oath, and much more.
As a general transcriptionist, you can work for bloggers, podcasters, insurance agencies, SEO experts, content strategists, business owners — the list goes on! Seriously. Where ever there is recorded audio, a transcriptionist usually isn’t far behind.
Is transcription a good option for busy moms?
I totally think so. For me, I do all of my transcribing while my kids are napping, after they go to bed in the evening, or when my husband is off work. This is a great way to supplement your income and breath life into your budget.
For moms of older, more independent children, this is a fantastic way to potentially earn a full-time income from home. I say this for one reason: Based on my experience, a transcriptionist needs a very quiet environment and the ability to focus solely on the audio at hand. That’s why I transcribe when my kids were asleep or when I have extra help. If you have older kiddos who can be left unsupervised for longer periods of time or a helping hand if you have young ones, you can increase your worked hours, which will subsequently increase your earning potential!
Think transcription might be for you?
Check out the details of this week’s prize below and enter to win enrollment in Transcribe Anywhere‘s Legal Transcription or General Transcription Level 1 — you choose!
The winner of this week’s MiM for Moms Giveaway will receive their choice of one of the following Transcribe Anywhere prizes: General Transcription: Theory and Practice Level 1 OR Legal Transcription: Theory and Practice Level 1. In addition, the winner will get to deduct the cost of their Level 1 enrollment off of their tuition fee if they choose to upgrade!! Nice, right?
Each course includes the following:
- Information on the best transcription equipment and where to get the best deal
- Lessons on software and hardware — links + FREE downloads
- In-depth lessons on text expanders and shortcut keys
- Transcription style guide
- Time coding instruction
- How-to’s on establishing and calculating rates
- Easy-to-use transcription templates
- Step-by-step guide to finding work
- Sample client contracts
- TONS OF PRACTICE!
- Multimedia learning tools including quizzes, video presentations with audio, and screencast tutorial demonstrations
- Email and online support forums
- Access to TA’s exclusive student Facebook group
- Lifetime access to course material and ALL future updates
- Lifetime access to our student support community on Facebook
General Transcription: Theory and Practice also includes:
- Seven practice levels containing 60+ audio/video files with answer keys
Legal Transcription Theory and Practice also includes:
- Nine practice levels with 25 practice dictations with answer keys
BONUS PRIZE FOR THE WINNER!!
The winner of this (and all MiM for Moms giveaways!) will be receiving their very own copy of The Dailygreatness Business Planner, a beautiful planner designed to help you develop a successful business plan for your new work-at-home career. (Only U.S. residents are eligible to win the bonus prize.)
This planner is friggin’ awesome. It is pricey at $44.95, BUT it is absolutely worth it for any aspiring business owner, especially for moms who need extra help keeping her ducks in a row. Click here to get more info on how awesome this planner really is!
- Week-to-a-View Planner
- One Page Business Planner
- Business Vision Planner
- Expansion Strategy Worksheet (new)
- Social Media Content Planner (new)
- Comprehensive Goal Planning System
- Weekly, Quarterly and Yearly Check-Ins
- 90-Day Business Challenges
- Weekly Action Planners
- Inspirational Quotes
- Weekly and Quarterly Goal Planners
- Finance Manager and Budget Worksheets
- Undated, so you can start anytime
- Subscribe to MiM using one of the opt-in forms on this page. Don’t forget to confirm your subscription! A confirmation email will be sent to your inbox after you subscribe. Check your spam folder if it doesn’t show up within 20 minutes. Email me at [email protected] if you have any trouble. 🙂
- Fill out the entry form below. NOTE: I recommend signing in with your name and current email address. This is the information we’ll use to contact you if you win. If you sign in with Facebook, make sure your account is updated with your current contact information. You will NOT receive a confirmation email after filling out the form. 🙂
Earn more entries by coming back and Tweeting about the giveaway from the entry form each day! Good luck!
Interested in becoming a bookkeeper? Check out next week’s giveaway!
Stay tuned for next week’s prize: FULL enrollment in Bookkeeper Business Academy, a comprehensive, multimedia online course designed to teach you everything you need to know to become a successful bookkeeper and how to start your business created by experienced CPA and former accounting firm owner, Ben Robinson. (Valued at $1,197!!)
**This post may contain affiliate links whereby I earn a commission if you choose to purchase something through my link. This does not affect the price you pay, and it helps keep MiM available for moms like you. Rest assured that I only ever promote products I truly believe in. For more details, check out our Affiliate Disclosure. Thanks for keeping MiM alive!